Start a new topic
Deferred

Create an iOS version of Photo Mechanic

A number of people have requested an iOS version of Photo Mechanic for use on iPads, particularly the iPad Pro. We may consider this for future development, but we are not making any announcements at this time. 

However, we'd still really like to hear from you. How would an iPad workflow look to you? Would you want a lightweight version that only has a few features or is this something you want to replace desktop use?

To show your interest in this please upvote by liking this post or leave a comment. We’d love to hear from you. Thanks!

15 people like this idea

I would like an iOS version for use on iPadPro to replace the desktop version. Due to weight, size and always 4G I take my iPad Pro with we instead of a laptop.

Workflow :

copy from cf-card to iPad->select keepers->batch rename using template->batch apply IPTC using template. Basically same as now on desktop.

then edit : batch convert using Pixelmator Photo->edit->export

So batch rename, IPTC template and IPTC controlled vocabulary support are minimal requirements. Support for xml sidecar files, export from shuttersnitch, is nice to have.

1 person likes this

YES YES YES Please make this possible, I use MBP16 now which handles PM6 so well, but just sometimes I have the need to run very light and the iPadPro is so good, but the workflow using Lr and ShutterSnitch makes it a bit clunky and the inability to create inboard iptc templates on the device is a workflow I have struggled with, PM6 on a laptop is so sweet, a migration to iOS would be an amazing upgrade, I would even pay for a new licence if needed PM6Mobile  ( ?!?!? )

1 person likes this

Yes. Just for quick sorting in the field: 

Copy card to an external SSD with iPadOS file manager for backup / review / delete / star rate. Maybe process one or two in LR mobile. Import to LR CLASSIC at home from the SSD with rejects / ratings already labelled. I want to use my iPadOS as the processor, doing what a GNARBOX does, but with a generic USB C external SSD. 

1 person likes this

This is great feedback, everyone. Keep the comments coming! 

Hi

I just bought the ipad pro. The new model. I work as a press photographer (Nordjyske.DK) and have used Photo Mechanic for many, many years.  I have been blown away by how easy and good iPad Pro work with photos. Now on external hard drives and so on. 

So I would very much like a Photo Mechanic that works on iPad Pro. If it can only be a light version in the first place, that's ok. The most important thing is to be able to organize the pictures. Rename the pictures. Sort and pass the pictures on. Deciding to get started, I will gladly test it through our workflow.

2 people like this

Thanks, Kim. We might reach out to you for that at some point in the future.  

1 person likes this

Hi
You are so welcome. Take care 

1 person likes this

I would love to see an iOS version of PM.

I've switched from MacOS to iOS and now do most of my news work on the iPad Pro using Lightroom.

The metadata handling in Lightroom is not ideal. The ability to caption, rename and send images in a iOS version would be brilliant.

My current workflow involves importing images into Lightroom for editing and then captioning and keyboarding them (very limited and no batch function) and then exporting these images into camera roll for uploading either via Dropbox or FTP app Transmit.

2 people like this

My current mobile workflow with an iPhone or iPad is as following:

• Queue RAW photos for transmission on the back of the camera
  • Send photos to the ShutterSnitch app by FTP using a RJ45 to Lightning Cable
  • Applying metadata and renaming on import with ShutterSnitch
  • Captioning in ShutterSnitch
  • Selecting and sharing to Lightroom
  • Toning in Lightroom
  • Sharing from Lightroom, either all at once through messages, all at once by saving to photos and then reimporting them to ShutterSnitch or FTP Manager app for delivery by FTP, or one at a time directly to ShutterSnitch or FTP Manager FTP

What I see as most important to my workflow:
  • Not using the  iOS, Camera Manufacturer or Lightroom import interface. They are all terrible whether they are slow or unreliable.
  • Having a hardwired connection that is easy to trouble shoot
  • Not saving excessive copies of files in several apps. (I  used to save to iOS Photos but then it would be in 3 apps: ShutterSnitch, iOS Photos and Lightroom)
  • Seamless transition between apps

What I'd like to see in a mobile version of Photo Mechanic
  • Having the option to only ingest protected files and ingest incrementally
  • Integration of Preferences and Snapshots with the desktop product
  • Full use of Metadata Template and Variables

3 people like this

I would certainly be interested in an iOS version. At the very least the gnarbox version for importing and culling images with metadata templates, Variables and Code replacement. 

My current workflow importing certain images via to Camera Roll and editing via Lightroom mobile and exporting from Lightroom mobile. 

1 person likes this

Really clean, good integration for wireless and wired tethering. That would be HUGE for us. 

1 person likes this

having an iOS version would be HUGE. especially in the current climate of having to work remotely and trying to keep my gear as sanitary as possible, having a smaller equipment footprint out in the field would be amazing. would love to be able to provide any feedback on any beta software that comes out.

1 person likes this

Having an iOS version of this incredible application would be so helpful in my workflow using the new iPad Pro. Almost 100% of my work is done remotely and having this as an addition to your laptop/desktop version would be very helpful and I am sure very popular.  Thank you in advance for your help and consideration.

1 person likes this

I'm about to move to using an iPad Pro for when I work remotely. I'd love love love to see iPadOS version of Photo Mechanic. Cheers and keep up the good work.

2 people like this
Login or Signup to post a comment