Start a new topic

Display Metadata in Contact Sheet

I would like to be able to see the metadata for an image directly in the Contact Sheet, without having to open the Metadata Info window. Would be a much faster way to check the actual settings of a file.

This works quite well in Adobe Bridge: when several images are selected it shows the values which are common between the images, or "multiple" for the values which vary.

(I've just given up Adobe Bridge for Photo Mechanic as it has become unbearably slow and am very happy with PM, but there's a couple of things which I miss...)

1 person likes this idea

Hi Ariel,

You can do this in a few ways. 

You can see metadata for an image on the contact sheet by going to 'View' -> 'Show Info Tooltips' which will show you everything from the Info Panel that shows up in the Preview window, which you can customize by going to 'Edit' -> 'Settings' -> 'Set Info Text'.

You can also use Variables in the Labels section of the Contact Sheet Preferences to have Photo Mechanic show you the metadata in the image that corresponds to that variable.

Hope that helps (or let me know if I am not understanding what you are looking for)!

Hi Andrew,

thanks for this: The customizable Info Text solves already a part of my problem.

I am editing folders with large numbers of images of different objects or from different locations. They have a good part of the metadata Info in common, But some values (like location, IPTC subject or caption) vary. 

In order to assign Metadata to smaller batches of these images need to constantly open the Metadata Template, edit the required Info and assign to a Batch.

Now your hint with the customizable text helps me checking the Status Quo.

What still slows me down is the fact that I cannot keep the Metadata Template open all the time to check and edit the settings. Unfortunately the Info Text in the Contact Sheet does not show while the Template is open. Ideally I could select Images and check Info in the Contact Sheet while the Metadata Template is open, so I could check, edit and assign Metadata much faster. 

I sent a separate Feature Request for my Issue with having to open and close the Template all the time, and a third one with collapsible groups of Metadata in the template in order to be able to focus on the information I need, without scrolling. All these together would be a great boost :)

Thanks for your support and best regards,

Ariel

Login or Signup to post a comment