Start a new topic
Deferred

XMP Sidecar support for file formats not supporting embedded metadata

In order to caption, rate and color code all of my photos

As someone who has some GIF 87a images

I want XMP Sidecar support for data types that do not support embedded metadata

Traditionally we haven't offered support for adding metadata to file types that don't directly come from cameras. 

As an end-user I just want to annotate all my images with metadata. Although the portability and interoperability of how this metadata is stored becomes important very quickly too, as most DAM software seems to come and go, whereas the images persist a lot longer.

It seems rather shocking of how almost every DAM and photography app seem to have their own ideas of how and where to store the metadata. NeoFinder and Photo Supreme for example will even use XMP Sidecar files to annotate text files, which is rather extreme, but can be quite useful!

XMP Sidecar files seem to be the most portable standard that I am aware of, and also allows for scripting with exiftool if necessary.

But for this particular use case, I was able to open all of my GIF 87a files in GraphicConverter 11 and use it's "Save as" functionality with the GIF file type which converted it to GIF 89a (as suggested in the release notes of PM+ Beta 14: https://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=13110.0).

As an end-user I just want to annotate all my images with metadata. Although the portability and interoperability of how this metadata is stored becomes important very quickly too, as most DAM software seems to come and go, whereas the images persist a lot longer.

It seems rather shocking of how almost every DAM and photography app seem to have their own ideas of how and where to store the metadata. NeoFinder and Photo Supreme for example will even use XMP Sidecar files to annotate text files, which is rather extreme, but can be quite useful!

XMP Sidecar files seem to be the most portable standard that I am aware of, and also allows for scripting with exiftool if necessary.

But for this particular use case, I was able to open all of my GIF 87a files in GraphicConverter 11 and use it's "Save as" functionality with the GIF file type which converted it to GIF 89a (as suggested in the release notes of PM+ Beta 14: forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=13110.0).

Login or Signup to post a comment